Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ironic
Sep 13, 2001, 05:19 PM,
Ironic
Pearl Harbour premiers tomorrow here...If I were to joke about this, I'd say "Boooring"......

Sunt lacrimae reum
Sep 17, 2001, 05:07 PM,
Ironic
But you're not going to joke about it because that would be completely fucked up, right?

Good.

Glad the topic never came up.

Have a nice day.

My signature is great.
Sep 17, 2001, 06:58 PM,
Ironic
I dunno.  People react to crises in a whole smorgasbord of ways, including humour.  It's a means of coping with horrible things by taking away their power to hurt us through belittling them, making them objects of jest.  I'm not saying it's right, only that it's understandable.

For those of you who know who Ed Gein is (cannibal killer who wore the skins of his victims in an attempt to recreate his dead mother, basis for "Psycho", "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Silence Of The Lambs" ), it might surprise you to know that the people of Plainfield, Wisconsin (Gein's hometown and the quiet rural area in which he committed his crimes) reacted by coming up with hundreds of cheesy puns about ol' Ed and his proclivities.  Keep in mind that these are people who had lost friends and family to possibly the most fucked-up serial killer (since Fish, at least), and they were able to make jokes about it.

"The Producers", "The Great Dictator" and especially "Life Is Beautiful" (although I'm not as gaga about that movie as the rest of the world seems to be) are essentially about using laughter as a means of coping with the worst crime of the century, the Holocaust.

(Edited by Inertia at 10:58 am on Sep. 17, 2001)

...Nothing to corrupt the eye; there is no vision here.
Sep 17, 2001, 08:13 PM,
Ironic
I'm sorry. I've had the urge to do this since the first time Inertia used that word.

Smörgåsbord. Smile

*shivers* Echhh... Swedish...

"What did the city get from you, Montag?"
"Ashes"
Sep 17, 2001, 11:09 PM,
Ironic
(Edited by Girl Fly at 11:15 pm on Sep. 17, 2001)
Sep 17, 2001, 11:10 PM,
Ironic
*cracks up*

Sorry, "smörgåsbord" is just one of my favourite words.

My friend Vix was over here and for the first time in a week I was able to shout "smörgåsbord!" for no reason.

Uhm, not that I usually shout it with a reason...

I'll get me coat.

My signature is great.
Sep 18, 2001, 12:47 AM,
Ironic
For the first time in a week? Smile I think I use the word 'smörgåsbord' in a sentence once every 1 to 2 years. I might try using it more often if I felt I was pronouncing it correctly...

One of my favorite words that I say for no reason is 'loaf', don't ask me why.

By the way, Inertia, that was a good post. I think something similar would make an excellent article. (wink, wink..nudge, nudge...) *trips and falls down the stairs*

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." -- Douglas Adams
Sep 18, 2001, 08:05 PM,
Ironic
Oh my god!! Swedes have conquered the world. RUN!! Ninja Smile (just the healthy animosity between neighbouring countries is all... )

"What did the city get from you, Montag?"
"Ashes"
Sep 19, 2001, 10:44 AM,
Ironic
Whats even more ironic is that at the premiere some planes were supposed to fly over the multiplex, then the lights would go out, people would be sheltered in and a Japanese plane would crash into the Mall...Isnt' it ironic...

Sunt lacrimae reum
Sep 19, 2001, 01:41 PM,
Ironic
that can't be true...

http://www.livejournal.com/~toyman
Sep 19, 2001, 04:45 PM,
Ironic
Quote:Quote: from Amor Fati on 2:44 am on Sep. 19, 2001
Whats even more ironic is that at the premiere some planes were supposed to fly over the multiplex, then the lights would go out, people would be sheltered in and a Japanese plane would crash into the Mall...Isnt' it ironic...

That would probably have been the coolest thing about the movie. Otherwise it really sucked.

I didn't hear one utterance of the word "(insert widely-known racist slur here)"

"Look out, here come those goddamn Japanese people!"

Realistic.

(Edited by JuggleFoe at 8:31 pm on Sep. 19, 2001)

Honky dances for nickels.
Sep 19, 2001, 05:21 PM,
Ironic
Who do you think will play President Bush in the movie Twin Tower Terror?

My signature is great.
Sep 19, 2001, 05:31 PM,
Ironic
Foe, yes, it is true...That was the initial thought. How about that...ConAir was released in a sort of similar spectacular manner. But there were failures too, I mean at the release of Proof of Life I think, they tried to do something cool with masked guys sliding down ropes and all, and one of them fell to his death.

Buzz, I think the answer would be Adam Sandler. Bush is damn stupid, he should be played by somebody looking stupid.
The serious answer would be Tom Hanks.

Sunt lacrimae reum
Sep 19, 2001, 07:46 PM,
Ironic
My vote goes to Will Farell. Wink

...Nothing to corrupt the eye; there is no vision here.
Sep 19, 2001, 08:06 PM,
Ironic
I have absolutely no idea who that is. Dunce

Sunt lacrimae reum