Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fahrenheit 451
Jan 14, 2002, 09:21 PM,
Fahrenheit 451
I finally read it and it was great as I have been told innumerable times over the years. It's scary how the world in the book is so much like ours, a bit exaggerated though. It's a world I really fear we're going to. Government-forced idiocy.

"What did the city get from you, Montag?"
"Ashes"
Jan 15, 2002, 01:40 AM,
Fahrenheit 451
i saw "the andromeda strain".

does that count?

http://www.livejournal.com/~toyman
Jan 16, 2002, 01:07 AM,
Fahrenheit 451
Eh... Never seen that one... Can't say.

"Ashes"
Jan 18, 2002, 12:16 AM,
Fahrenheit 451
Speaking of absolutely wonderful books...Into the Forest was absolutely wonderful and questioned my point of views on a lot of things.

Such as incest...

"Any government that would deny a gay man the right to bridal registry is a fascist state."
Jan 18, 2002, 12:23 AM,
Fahrenheit 451
Speaking of absolutely wonderful books...Into the Forest was absolutely wonderful and questioned my point of views on a lot of things.

Such as incest...

"Any government that would deny a gay man the right to bridal registry is a fascist state."
Jan 18, 2002, 06:28 PM,
Fahrenheit 451
Nobody writes as well as the Russians, IMO.

Sunt lacrimae reum
Jan 19, 2002, 10:08 PM,
Fahrenheit 451
The Russians?

Name 15 great Russian writers.

I dare you.

Granted, there is Tolstoy, Dostoyevski etc, but come on.

What about the French?

Or the English?

Or the IRISH...probably more great works per capita than anywhere else.

"When I see all those starving kids in Africa it just makes me want to cry.  I mean, I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff."  -- Mariah Carey.
Jan 20, 2002, 10:30 PM,
Fahrenheit 451
Eh... I don't care where good stuff comes from. I just take it. I'm really not that much into nationality in any sense. It's something good to defining certain general qualities about a certain group of people, but nothing accurate.

"Ashes"
Jan 20, 2002, 10:54 PM,
Fahrenheit 451
Hey hey.  I wasn't trying to argue that a particular country was the best producer of literature.  My point was that it's silly to say that the Russians write best on the basis of maybe 4 or 5 great Russian works, when in fact compared to other countries of the same size/status/heritage its contribution has been small.

"When I see all those starving kids in Africa it just makes me want to cry.  I mean, I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff."  -- Mariah Carey.
Jan 21, 2002, 08:32 PM,
Fahrenheit 451
I beg to differ from a point of view. (And BTW, it's great to have a literature talk). Say there would be just 4 or 5 great Russian writers, but their work would be as consistant as the entire literature of a country.
I'll rephrase. I PREFER Russian writers. Because of the depth. Because of the vastness you can feel in their writing, given by the that huge country they have. The Russian people is great, so intense and withs ucha  huge pallet of feelings.

Frenchmen are great too, since Balzac is one of my favorite writers. I've almost finished "La comedie humaine".

And about Irish, that's one place I love to have been born.

About the dare...

1. Dostoyevski

2. Lev Tolstoy

3. Alexei Tolstoy ("The turmoil" is the best book I have ever written, I dearly and strongly recommend it to anybody, it's a masterpiece)

5. Anton Cehov

6. Maxim Gorky

7. Mikhail Sholokov

8. A.S Pushkin

9. Ivan Turgheniev

10. N.V. Gogol

on the top of my mind. I probably could come up with five more, but these 10 I've read.

Sunt lacrimae reum