Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debate~topic- legalisation of cannabis in uk | will is craving one, also i wanna c what the non freak membe
Jul 12, 2001, 11:51 PM,
Debate~topic- legalisation of cannabis in uk | will is craving one, also i wanna c what the non freak membe
Two reasons that cannabis is illegal (from the government's point of view)

1.  It IS less harmful than tobacco.  BUT, don't you think that the government would ban tobacco if they could?  The only reason that tobacco is legal is because it has been legal for 400 years, and it is too integrated into our society to illegalise now.  Simply too many people would be against it, being smokers.  They decided that tobacco would be legal a very long time before they knew about the dangers.  Now it's too late.  So they presumably don't want to make the same mistake with cannabis.  The government would LOVE for tobacco to be illegal.  Think of all the harm it causes, e.g medical costs for lung cancer etc.  But they can't do anything now.

THAT is the reason that tobacco is legal, despite being more dangerous than cannabis.

2.  Most politicians grew up JUST before the big drugs boom in the 60's.  Hence they are wary of drugs, having not experienced them.  Wait 5 years and politicians will be mainly from the drugs generation - they'll relax the laws.

Phew, I'm exhausted now.

"When I see all those starving kids in Africa it just makes me want to cry.  I mean, I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff."  -- Mariah Carey.

Messages In This Thread
Debate~topic- legalisation of cannabis in uk | will is craving one, also i wanna c what the non freak membe - by Lacking in meaning - Jul 12, 2001, 11:51 PM