Time to Mark Out | from www.wrestleline.com
Jul 12, 2001, 03:31 AM,
Time to Mark Out
July 10, 2001

By Steve Anderson
WrestleLine Staff Writer

I’m going to go out on a limb. I guess I’m feeling a little "extreme."

If you didn’t like Raw last night, you’re not a wrestling fan.

If all you can do is pick at the logic at an unprecedented angle, stop watching. (Hint: every angle has holes if you sit down and analyze every nuance)

If you didn’t mark out at the prospect at ECW, WCW, and the WWF on the same show, you are jaded beyond recognition.

This is where I go to bat for the marks. God love ‘em. They must be wetting themselves over the prospect of the ultimate "three way" dance. I know, I know. The smarter wrestling fan will say that things just didn’t make sense. Why would such and such happen? Such and such did this and didn’t do this and it just doesn’t make any sense.

Babies. Please continue sucking your thumb after you pull it out of another orifice.

I wrote a column recently pleading with fans to just enjoy the inter-promotional battles. Be a mark. Revel in the moment. Embrace history. Sure, Vince owns the works now. He’s got it all. But he sure as hell is making it fun, fun, fun.

Remember when David Crockett bought Bill Watt’s UWF? Instead of parlaying that purchase into an inter-promotional feud, the short-sighted promoter (who was out of business a few years later) folded the UWF. He cut off his proverbial nose to spite his proverbial face.

We all wanted the WWF to make the invasion better and we wanted it fast. They listened to the critics and responded. In my estimation, the end justifies the means.

If you didn’t like it, you’ll never like another angle in pro wrestling again. Lord knows wrestling needs all the fans they can get, but to those who didn’t enjoy Raw should pick another pastime and, for some, another job. I realize that everyone is entitled to their opinions, but the only opinion that counts tonight is that of the non-anal retentive wrestling fan. They won tonight. Take heart, marks (and I’m including myself in that proud bunch)! Don’t let the critics drag you down.

You witnessed history and you didn’t put it under a microscope. You enjoyed without analyzing. You watched without whining. Logic be damned. WWF vs. WCW vs. ECW? A dream come true.

Funny thing about a dream. Sometimes, it doesn’t have logic. Sometimes, it doesn’t make sense. Nobody wake me until its all over.

http://www.livejournal.com/~toyman
Jul 12, 2001, 10:12 AM,
HELL YEAH!

All Hail Ænema!
Jul 12, 2001, 07:31 PM,
Damn right.  I read this yesterday and just kept nodding in agreement the whole way through.

It seems as though the majority of the Internet writers have at least temporarily removed their collective heads from their collective posteriors and are enjoying this angle for what it is: entertaining and exciting as all hell.

...Nothing to corrupt the eye; there is no vision here.
Jul 12, 2001, 07:38 PM,
i wish more people could do that.

ever since the whole "invasion" angle started, most of the people at the wrestlecrap board couldn't help but bitch and complain their fucking spoiled brat heads off.

i posted this article, and *wham*,  i got banned.

cute, huh?

http://www.livejournal.com/~toyman