Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yeah, brilliant...
Aug 14, 2001, 12:03 PM,
Yeah, brilliant...
Yeah so that's why i buy only burned CDs. Because when I want to buy orginal ones, which cost seven times more, this is what I get: The Cure - Disintegration, original, not sealed and with a booklet containing, apart from the lyrics, the lovely "The compact disc audio system" page you get when you buy blanks...Talk about "original" CDs...Inertia, what artwork was supposed to be on this CD?

Sunt lacrimae reum
Aug 14, 2001, 06:46 PM,
Yeah, brilliant...
The original booklet folds out to be a square (in four sections).  On the back there's a complete lyric sheet with a beige/gray background.

The cover almost resembles looking down into a pool of water at midnight, with flowers and Robert Smith's face at the bottom of the water.

...Nothing to corrupt the eye; there is no vision here.
Aug 14, 2001, 06:47 PM,
Yeah, brilliant...
...But more importantly, what do you think of the album?

Aug 14, 2001, 07:09 PM,
Yeah, brilliant...
Dunce D'oh...That's what I have. Ah, ignore the beginning of this topic please Wink
The album? After two listens, I can safely say that it's quite...FANTASTIC. I mean the mood of the labum, the general atmosphere it brings, it's incredible. I have only one objection: it's sort of going downhill. I mean the beginning of the album is fantastic, Plainsong is unbelievable, the instrumental part and the mood of the song make for an incredible start. Pictures of You is still my favorite off the album, Love song has superb lyrics, I love them, so simple and yet they speak so much...Then Last Dance, Lullaby, but it seems to be a sort of a fall (don't blame me, I only listened to it twice Wink) with Fascination street and Prayers for Rain. I'll probably change my mind. The same deep waters...is my kinda songs,, over 9 minutes long, and it's also great, while the last two songs I knew and I love, especially homesick. I will have more deep impressions after more spins. I have to remark the lyrics, and how they are written and sung, they are great, I'm not used to lyrics like these, and Robert Simisu Wink sings them in such a hautning manner, I mean that "how the end always is...how the end always is..."from the end of "Disintegration"  really stuck to me, I mean they way they are spoken, almost whispered sometimes, I love it. So that's what i think of the album. So far.

Sunt lacrimae reum
Aug 14, 2001, 09:19 PM,
Yeah, brilliant...
Plainsong reminds me of OMD's "Made of Orleans". That's a brilliant song.

Sunt lacrimae reum
Aug 14, 2001, 09:35 PM,
Yeah, brilliant...
Somehow I can't wait to listen to this album in wintertime, at the mountain house. Closedown gave me this impression. The instrumental mood is really fantastic...Sends me to OMD or Mike Oldfield, artists that I love so much.

Sunt lacrimae reum
Aug 14, 2001, 10:22 PM,
Yeah, brilliant...
"Plainsong" is my favourite piece of music, period.  Seeing them play it live in San Diego was one of the most incredible and affecting moments of my life.

The only songs on the album that I'm not nuts about are "Lovesong" and "Fascination Street".

You're right about winter.  I bought the album in November, and about a month later our town had the heaviest fall of snow it had seen in ten or so years.  Myself and a friend were snowed in at my house for nearly a week with nowhere to go.  We stayed inside and played Nintendo, listened to "Disintegration", "Staring At The Sea" (Cure singles album) and The Sisters Of Mercy.  At night we'd go on treks into the foot and a half of snow.  Such a great memory...

Aug 14, 2001, 10:24 PM,
Yeah, brilliant...
Yeah, Plainsong is something else...So you say it sounds super live? I'll look for that.

Sunt lacrimae reum
Aug 15, 2001, 07:35 PM,
Yeah, brilliant...
"Prayers For Rain" is a live favourite as well.  At the peak of the song, Robert usually holds the last "rain" for nearly half a minute.  Mindblowing.

Aug 15, 2001, 08:17 PM,
Yeah, brilliant...
Gonna look for that too.

Sunt lacrimae reum